168 locomotives were built of which 123 came into British Railways ownership at nationalisation in 1948. This was the last class of steam engine in service in Scotland
After the introduction of the Drummond Class C (LNER Class J32) 18-inch (cylinder diameter) 0-6-0s, essentially for the Waverley Route in 1876, the NBR reverted to the 17-inch design with the Drummond Class D (J34) in 1879 and the Holmes Class D (J33) in 1883. With the opening of the second Tay Bridge in July 1887 and the upcoming opening of the Forth Bridge in March 1890 the NBR needed more powerful goods locos. The result was the Holmes Class C (J36). Introduced in 1888 it was built in regular batches until 1900, eventually totalling 168 locos. 138 were built at the NBR's Cowlairs Works while the other 30 were split equally between Neilson and Company and Sharp, Stewart and Company.