is an unincorporated community
in northwestern Loudoun County
. It is located in the Between the Hills
area of the Loudoun Valley
on Harpers Ferry Road (Virginia Secondary Route 671) at the foot of Short Hill Mountain
. It is notable for being the birthplace of Confederate guerrilla John Mobberly
Neersville derives its name from the Near brothers, Conrad and William, who were the first to lease and later own the land around the present village. Their land deeds began in the year 1786. The village began to coalesce around the dependencies of the Near farms in 1834 when the Lutheran Church
was given a half acre on which they constructed St. Paul's Church. Within five years, the post office established a branch in the village which they christened Neersville and, with it, the "Capitol City" of Between the Hills was born.
The village continued to prosper in the antebellum years, boasting two mills, a saw and grist, by 1850. Unfortunately because of the limited flow of Piney Run
, only one could operate at a time. The village suffered some during the Civil War
, mostly by the burning of the bridge across the Potomac River
,which kept the isolated village connected to the Harpers Ferry
and the outside world via the B&O Railroad
and C&O Canal
. Though the village was occupied by both armies during the war, no real fighting took place there.
Following the conflict, the village began to prosper once again, especially with the... Read More