New Britain High School
is a public high school
in New Britain
. It is a part of New Britain Public Schools
. The school's teams go by the name of "Golden Hurricanes". The school colors are maroon and gold.
In 1850, the town of New Britain built a town hall at the corner of Main and East Main Streets. Before the building was completed, it was purchased by the New Britain Educational Fund Company, altered, and adapted to the combined needs of a State Normal School and a town high school. For the first two years of its existence, the high school included the grammar grades. Since 1852, it has been a four- year, and later a three-year secondary school, offering college preparation and, since 1913, business and vocational education.
In 1896, a building was erected at Franklin Square to house New Britain High School. At the time, it was one of the finest and best-equipped school buildings in the state. In 1915 an annex for the Vocational High School was erected on Bassett Street. In 1929, a connecting building was added, providing an auditorium, library, office, two gymnasiums, and more classrooms.
In September 1961, Pulaski High School was opened on Farmington Avenue to accommodate the growing number of high school students in New Britain. In 1972, New Britain High moved from its location on Bassett Street to its present site on Mill Street, on the edge of Willow Brook Park. This new 12-million dollar facility provided improved cafeteria,... Read More