New Dorp Beach
is along the shore of the neighborhood of New Dorp
, on the south shore of Staten Island
, one of the five borough
of New York City
It is between Midland Beach
and Oakwood Beach
The first recorded European settlement in the town of New Dorp occurred by the beach, in 1671, when Governor Edmund Andros
patented the land to Obediah Holmes, an parcel of land from the Governor's Lot. A small two room cottage was built along near the shore. This small, colonial home would later be owned by Nathaniel Britton, and be known as the Britton Cottage. This cottage would sit for over 200 years, as the area of New Dorp Beach developed around it, eventually finding itself sitting at the corner of New Dorp Lane and Cedar Grove Avenue.
After the Civil War
, the area began to prosper as a resort, as campgrounds and seasonal bungalows began to develop along the gridded side streets along Cedar Grove Avenue. Along the waterfront, wooden piers and hotels popped up. The New Dorp Beach Hotel, formerly located along the beach, sat on a large lot which fronted both Cedar Grove Avenue and Marine Way, which once extended down to the water. Along the southern end, the Cedar Grove Beach Club grew, with a line of summer bungalows.
In 1879, the St. John's Guild acquired of land along the shore of New Dorp Beach, and built a hospital, known as Seaside Hospital. This, along with a dock for their boat, would be owned by the St. John's Guild till 1951, when the hospital went up... Read More