After the New Jersey Legislature was relocated to Trenton from Perth Amboy during 1790, a new state house was constructed during 1792 by Philadelphia-based architect Jonathan Doane. Subsequent additions were made to the building during the 19th century. Architects who contributed to the New Jersey State House during the 19th century include John Notman (1845 created office wing on North side) who was a Philadelphia architect and Samuel Sloan (1871 designed new wings) who was also a Philadelphia architect. On March 21, 1885, a large fire caused the destruction of the State Street wing. Lewis Broome, from Jersey City helped to redesign the building.
The New Jersey State House attained its present size during 1911 and has not been changed significantly other than by modernization of the main corridor during 1950. A 1960 plan, calling for the replacement of the oldest sections of the State House with modern... Read More