is a market in Kolkata
situated on Lindsay Street
. Technically, it referred to an enclosed market but today in lokal parlance the entire Lindsay Street shopping area is often known as New Market.
Some of the earliest English quarters were in an area known then as Dalhousie Square
. Terretti and Lal Bazar
nearby were customary marketing haunts of the British gentry. Later settlements were in Kashaitola, Dharmatala
As Calcutta entered the 1850s and British colonies became the order of the day, the Britishers overtly displayed their contempt to brush shoulders with “natives” at the bazaars. In 1871, swayed by an orchestrated cry from English residents, a committee of the Calcutta Corporation
contemplated a market which would be the prize preserve of Calcutta’s British citizens. Spurred by the committee’s deliberations, the Corporation promptly purchased Lindsay Street. The East India Railway Company executed the designs and with a renowned architect R. Bayne, pitching, an architecturally Gothic market-complex crystallized in 1873. Bayne was honoured with a 1000 rupee award , arguably a large sum in the 1870s for his achievements. News of Calcutta’s first municipal market spread rapidly. Affluent Englishmen shopped at exclusive retailers like Rankin and Company (dressmakers), Cuthbertson and Harper (shoe-merchants) and R.W. Newman or Thacker Spink, the famous stationers and book-dealers.New Market was thrown open with fanfare to the... Read More