The Leonard N. Stern School of Business
(commonly known as The Stern School
, NYU Stern
, or simply Stern
) is New York University
's business school
. It was established in 1900 as the NYU School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance
. In 1988 it was named after Leonard N. Stern
, an alumnus and benefactor of the school. Stern is located on NYU's Greenwich Village
campus next to the Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
. A founding member of the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
, the Stern School is one of the oldest and most prestigious business schools in the world.
<!-- Image with unknown copyright status removed: -->The Stern School was founded by Charles Waldo Haskins
in 1900 as the NYU
Undergraduate School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance on the University's Washington Square campus. In 1913 Jeanette Hamill, J.D., M.A., joined the School's Economics department, becoming its first female faculty member. In 1936, women comprised 15 percent of the total enrollment. The graduate business program was launched in New York's downtown business district in 1916. The School's "Wall Street Division" served both full-time and currently employed students. The School awarded its first Doctor of Commercial Sciences degree in 1970.
By 1945, the school's enrollment was well over 10,000 with graduates hailing from 36 countries and 48 states. In the 1960s, International business courses were introduced and soon became an important focus of the... Read More