is a Roman Catholic
, co-educational residential college
affiliated with the University of Melbourne
. During the university year it houses about 235 undergraduate
students and about 55 postgraduate
students and tutors. The college was named after Cardinal John Henry Newman
, a former Anglican and major figure in the Oxford Movement
who became a Roman Catholic in the 19th century. The college continues to commemorate the life of Newman through events such as the Cardinal Newman Dinner and the prominent positioning of his portrait in the dining hall. Although most strongly affiliated with the University of Melbourne, a small number of undergraduate students attend either RMIT University or the Melbourne Pharmacy School (part of Monash University) located on Royal Parade.
The collegiate system spawned from the secular nature
of the university, as each of the major Christian churches were given land to the north of the main campus to establish institutions in which to teach religion. The college motto is Luceat Lux Vestra
, translating from Latin as "Let Your Light Shine".
The original set of buildings were built during 1916 to 1918 and were designed by renowned architect Walter Burley Griffin
and are considered to be some of his best work. Burley Griffin also designed furniture for the college, including distinctive chairs, tables and bookshelves for the dining room and the original bedrooms of the college. Much of this furniture remains in day to day... Read More