There were a number of predecessor papers that merged to form the Express.
W. G. Cambridge published the Newport Republican in 1864. He sold the paper to D. K. Simonds and Royal Cummings in 1865. They renamed the paper the Newport Express. Simonds became the editor. In 1866, Simonds sold his share to D. M. Camp who became editor. Camp purchased Cummings share in 1869 and became sole owner.
A. A. Earle published the Orleans Independent Standard in Irasburg from 1856 to 1869. He moved the paper to Barton and sold it to the Newport Express to form the Express and Standard.
There were various changes of editors and ownerships but by 1883, Camp again became sole owner and editor.