In 1896 the first segregated white high school in Newport News was in the First National Bank building at Washington Ave. & 28th Street. Its first principal was Horace H. Epes. It later held classes at Central School from 1899 until Central School burned down in 1913. Classes then met at John W. Daniel School which was constructed in 1908. Both Central and Daniel Sschools were in the 3100 block of Lafayette (later Huntington) Ave. Walter Reed School at 2410 Wickham Ave., served as a high school until Newport News High School was built in 1924. Daniel served as a public school until 1960, when it became the first home of Christopher Newport University.
Newport News boasted one of the finest athletic fields in Virginia with the opening in 1935 of a concrete stadium, Saunders Stadium, with classrooms below at Newport News High School. A new gymnasium, named for long-time athletic director and coach Julius "Julie" Conn, was opened in 1964.
In 1971 Newport News High School was converted, along with Collis P. Huntington and George Washington Carver High Schools, to an intermediate school after the city's school district freedom-of-choice plan... Read More