The Niagara Gorge Railroad
(forming part of the Great Gorge Route
) was an interurban railway which ran at the bottom of the Niagara Gorge
(at water level) from Niagara Falls, New York
to Lewiston, New York
Stations were at International Railway Terminal, Great Gorge Route Ticket Office, New York Central Depot, Schoellkopf Station, Rapids View, Whirlpool Rapids, Whirlpool Point, Ongiara Park, Giant Rock, Devil's Hole, Lewiston-Queenston Bridge and Lewiston Dock.
In Niagara Falls the GGR made connections with the International Railway Co. (IRC), New York Central
, Erie Railroad
, Canadian National
and Lehigh Valley
. In Lewiston Dock connections were made with New York Central, IRC, the Lewiston & Youngstown Frontier and Canada Steamship Lines steamers to Toronto
The GGR was organized in 1895 as the Niagara Falls & Lewiston. It was reorganized and became the Niagara Gorge Railroad and operated until a Rock Slide on September 17, 1935. The Great Gorge Route was part of the "Niagara Gorge Belt Line". This service was jointly with the IRC "Canadian Scenic Route" on the Canadian side of the River from Niagara Falls, Ontario
to Queenston, Ontario
. Crossings were made on the Falls View Bridge in Niagara Falls and the Lewiston-Queenston Suspension Bridge
. The IRC in Niagara Falls interchanged with the Niagara, St. Catharines & Toronto (NS&T), Canadian National; Toronto, Hamilton and Buffalo Railway
; Pere Marquette......