No. 1 Squadron (The Tigers)
is the oldest squadron of the Indian Air Force
. It operates as an air superiority
, precision strike
and electronic warfare
unit. Based at Gwalior
AFB, No. 1 Squadron falls under the Central Air Command
, and along with No. 7 Squadron
), No. 9 Squadron
), and "TACDE", forms a part of 40 Wing of the Indian Air Force.
No. 1 Squadron, Indian Air Force, the first squadron of the Royal Indian Air Force
, was raised on 1 April 1933 at Drigh Road, Karachi
and equipped with four Westland Wapiti
aircraft. The Indian element consisted of 9 officers and 14 Muslim technicians, then known as Hawai Sepoys
The early history of No. 1 Squadron is synonymous with the history of the Indian Air Force. It was formed on the day that the Indian Air Force received its first batch of trained pilots from RAF Cranwell
. The first batch of Indians at Cranwell were Ali Ahmed Khan, H.C. Sircar, Subroto Mukerjee
, (later Air Marshal
and the first Indian Chief of the Air Staff
), A.B. Awan, Asgar Khan, Mohmmad Hanif, Bhupendra Singh, Amarjit Singh Walayat Ali Khan and J.N. Tandon. They had started training in 1930 and were commissioned in late 1932. Pilot Officer
Tandon was too short to qualify for flying training and joined as the Equipment Officer. Flight Lieutenant
(later Air Vice-Marshal
) Cecil Bouchier
from the Royal Air Force was the first Commanding Officer of the Squadron.
The first batch were later joined by......