North Bellmore Fire Department
(NBFD) is a volunteer fire department
headquartered in North Bellmore
. Covering the department is responsible for parts of neighboring hamlets
, North Merrick
and East Meadow
.The North Bellmore Fire Department has approximately 106 members using 29 pieces of apparatus located throughout 2 Stations.
The current Chief of Department is David B. Marschall. The Assistant Chiefs are Edward J. Kraus, Douglas Sherwood, and Mark Collins.
Established in 1908, 13 men organized the Smithville South Hook, Ladder, and Engine Company. At the turn of the century, the town of North Bellmore did not exist, the area was then known as Smithville. When the area of Smithville asked to be recognized by the establishment of a post office they were informed that there already was a Smithville
located upstate. In order to create their own identity they changed the name to Smithville South. The name was later changed again when the LIRR
created a station named Bellmore but the name stuck for the company located at the old Frederick Farms property at the intersection of Broad Street and Newbridge Road.
In 1923, a handful of homeowners in the north end of the fire district decided to organize, because they felt they needed more fire protection nearer to them. At this time, the men requested a charter from the State of New York. This was granted and the organization was... Read More