is the second-largest island in the Turks and Caicos Islands
. To the west, the Caicos Cays (the closest is Parrot Cay
) link to Providenciales
. To the east, it is separated from Middle Caicos
by Juniper Hole, a narrow passage that can accommodate only small boats.
North Caicos has an area of 116.4 km² within the high water mark, and of 207.1 km² within the shoreline. The difference between the two values is not accounted for as land area. The population was estimated at 1895 in 2006. Sights on or near the island include Cottage Pond, Wade's Green plantation, and the tiny Three Marys Cays (0.64 ha
) a few metres off the northwestern shore.
Together with Bay Cay off the eastern shore (at 21.9 km² the sixth-largest island of the territory) and a few more uninhabited offshore cays, it forms the North Caicos District, with an area of 144.9 km².
There are four settlements on North Caicos, from east to west:
- Bottle Creek (the district capital, with a population of 907)
- Kew (the unofficial capital of the Caicos Islands)
- Sandy Point