It is also very popular with rail enthusiasts, as the station is situated on one of the fastest parts of the East Coast Mainline, and trains pass at speeds up to 125 mph.
The station was opened by the Great North of England Railway on 30 March 1841. Eleven years later the Leeds Northern Railway completed its line from Leeds to Stockton through the town, although this did not initially connect with the main line - trains instead called at nearby Northallerton Town station a short distance away near the point where it passed beneath the line towards Darlington. By 1854 however, both the GNoE and LN had become part of the North Eastern Railway which soon began running through trains on the LN route via Thirsk. These then rejoined the line towards Eaglescliffe by means of a new link from the main line at High Junction that was opened in 1856. The original LN route southwards towards Melmerby... Read More