<gallery></gallery>The Northwest Arm
, originally named Sandwich River, is an inlet in eastern Canada
off the Atlantic Ocean
in Nova Scotia
's Halifax Regional Municipality
Part of Halifax Harbour
, it measures approximately 3.5 km in length and 0.5 km in width and defines the western side of the Halifax Peninsula
. The waterway is oriented along a bearing of 135º (southeast) and 315º (northwest).
The Northwest Arm contains several small islands including Melville Island, home of the Armdale Yacht Club
, and Deadman's Island
, at the northwestern end near Armdale
There is a public beach (the only one on the Arm) located at Sir Sanford Fleming Park which has only recently been deemed safe for swimming since the Harbor Solutions Project began operations in 2008.
The Mi'kmaq Nation
called this water body "Waygwalteech" which translates to "salt water all the way up". Early English settlers called it the "Sandwich River" and also the "Hawkes River".
It was officially named the North West Arm
on 1 March 1921 and it was changed to Northwest Arm
on 4 April 1933.
Much of the shoreline of the Northwest Arm, referred to locally as "the Arm," is fronted by private residences.
The Northwest Arm is the location of several parks, notably Point Pleasant Park
at the southern entrance to the Arm on the Halifax Peninsula. Sir Sandford Fleming Park
... Read More