Founded in 1878, Northwood College has been providing a high quality of education for girls for over 125 years.There are approximately 800 girls in the college. The school was originally located in Regent Square in 1870, althoughlittle is known about this era. In 1878 the school moved to Endsleigh Gardens in Eaton Square, and its Headmistresswas Miss Buchan-Smith. At this time the school had between 20-30 boarders and a few day girls and boys in the nursury.Although the priorities of education in the later nineteenth differed to the ambitions that exist today, there were somesimilarities, with Miss Buchan-Smith wanting her girls to be well educated with interests beyond the classroom.
In 1892 the school moved out of central London to Northwood. The station had opened 5 years earlier and the area wasbeing developed, but many of the roads in the area are named after the family of Mr Carew, the owner of the land, this includesMaxwell Road. In 1871 the area that is now Northwood was described as "a destitute district near Moor Park". But the arrival ofthe railway now made Northwood a desirable area, and central London could be reached in about 25 minutes. When the area wasdeveloped the aim was to attract wealthy residents, with houses selling in Maxwell Road for... Read More