The land on which Northwood Hills, Northwood and Haste Hill Golf Club now stand was once the Great Common Wood. This covered in the 16th century, which residents would use for grazing their livestock and collecting firewood. Robert Cecil, the 1st Earl of Salisbury, sold off of the wood in 1608 for £4000. The remaining woodland became Copse Wood, part of the Ruislip Woods.
Northwood Hills was built during the 1930s by the Belton Estates company led by Harry Peachey, while Harry Neal was responsible for building the shopping parade in Joel Street. The name had been chosen in a competition by a woman from North Harrow.
The Northwood Hills public house (formerly known as the Northwood Hills Hotel) opposite the tube station is accredited as where Sir Elton John first performed professionally. A picture of the pub appears on one of his album covers.
Each May one of the largest Scout Jumble sales in the country is held by... Read More