is an independent coeducational boarding and day school located in Lake Placid
, New York
in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains
Northwood School was founded in 1905 by John M. Hopkins as the Lake Placid School. For 20 years it used the facilities of the Lake Placid Club
. During this time fall and spring was spent in Lake Placid, with the winter term spent at its campus in Florida.
In 1922 Melvil Dewey
, the originator of the Dewey Decimal System
founded the Lake Placid Club Education Foundation.New York Times
, , December 27, 1931. Under Dewey's leadership the Foundation took over the operation of the school in 1925, renaming it Northwood
.Wiegand, Wayne A. Irrepressible Reformer: A Biography of Melvil Dewey
Chicago: American Library Association, 1996. ISBN 0-8389-0680-X This change marked the end of Northwood's winter migration and in 1928 the school moved into the present school buildings.
In 1934 Northwood School received its charter by the Regents of the State of New York, and made a not for profit institution governed by a Board of Trustees.
Dr. Ira A. Flinner was the Headmaster of Northwood School for 26 years, from 1925 until 1951. Dr. Flinner successfully implemented the educational vision of Melvil Dewey. Dr. Flinner received his doctorate in education from Harvard University
before taking over Northwood. Edward M. Good is currently the headmaster.