It is located at Ås in Akershus, near Oslo, and has around 3800 students. The university is known for its beautiful campus, with spectacular, big and old trees, as well as ponds, flowers and bushes.
Established as an agricultural school in 1859, it became a scientific university college (vitenskapelig høgskole) in 1897 and received university status in 2005. Prior to 2005 it was known as Norges landbrukshøgskole(NLH), also in English as Agricultural University of Norway.
The university is organized into eight departments:
Department of Landscape Architecture and Spatial Planning (ILP)
It also includes five centers:
Animal Production Experimental Centre (SHF)
Centre for Plant Research in Controlled Climate (SKP)