of Notre-Dame de Québec
(Our Lady of Quebec City
), located at 20, rue de Buade, Quebec City
, is the primate
church of Canada
and seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Quebec
, the oldest see in the New World north of Mexico.
It is also the parish church of the oldest parish in North America, and the first church in North America
to be elevated to the rank of minor basilica
by Pope Pius IX
in 1874. Part of the UNESCO World Heritage
of Historic District of Old Québec
Located on this site since 1647, the Cathedral has twice been destroyed by fire throughout the centuries.
A previous iteration of the church was destroyed during the Siege of Quebec
in 1759. It was rebuilt from plans by Gaspard-Joseph Chaussegros de Léry
draughted in 1743. The belltower
, however, was designed by Jean Baillairgé
, who also oversaw construction.
The interior was designed by Jean Baillairgé
and his son François from 1786–1822. In 1843, François' son, Thomas, suggested a reconstruction of the façade to resemble the church of Sainte-Geneviève in Paris
, resulting in the finest Neo-classic façade in Québec
. The cathedral was richly decorated with impressive works of art: baldaquin
, canopy, episcopal throne dais, stained glass
windows, paintings, and chancel lamp (a gift of Louis XIV
). In 1922 it was again gutted by fire, only to be restored once again.
Four governors of New France
and the bishops of Quebec are buried... Read More