The Notting Hill Coronet
is a cinema
, originally built as a theatre, in Notting Hill Gate
The Coronet was designed as a theatre by leading architect W. G. R. Sprague
at a cost of £25,000 and opened in 1898. It was described in The Era
as a "theatre of which the whole country may be proud". Famous actors who appeared at the theatre in its early days included Ellen Terry
and Sarah Bernhardt
. It suffered, however, from being outside the traditional London theatrical district of the West End, whilst being sufficiently close to that district (unlike other provincial theatres) to find itself in competition with it.
In 1916, films were shown at the theatre for the first time, as part of variety programmes mixing live and filmed performance.
In 1923, it became a cinema full time, and capacity was reduced from 1,143 to 1,010 seats, but it retained, as it still does, its original theatre interior, consisting of stalls and two upper tiers (a dress circle and a gallery). However, the boxes at each side of the auditorium, next to the stage, were removed in 1931. The stage has been blocked off, and the cinema screen is placed within the proscenium arch. The projection equipment is housed in the former dress circle bar.
In 1931, the cinema became part of Gaumont British Cinemas
, and it was at this time that the theatre boxes were removed. In 1950, it was renamed the Gaumont and the upper tier was closed for seating, and... Read More