( or Cittanova d'Istria
) is a town and a municipality in Istria
. It is also known as Novigrad Istarski
to distinguish it from three other Croatian towns of the same name. Novigrad is set on a small peninsula on the western coast of Istria
, two kilometres north of the mouth of the river (Croatia) Mirna. The area covered by the municipality extends from the village of Dajla
in the north to the mouth of the River Mirna in the south.
There was an ancient city in the broad area of what is now Novigrad . In the 5th-6th centuries it was called Neapolis
). From the early Middle Ages
and right up until 1828 it was the seat of the Bishopric, from 1270 it was under the rule of the Venetian Republic
until its fall in the late 18th century, and it suffered a good deal of Turks in 1687. The Old city is situated on a peninsula. The triple-naved basilica of St. Pelagius dates from the 8th century, and the present church was built on the foundantions of the old basilica in the 15th and 16th centuries. Beneath the presbytery there is a late Romanesque crypt. In the sacristy of the present parish church, the former basiilica, 15th century antiphonaries are kept with their simple and beautiful initials.
Novigrad has retained its medieval structure and layout, with narrow, winding streets and small shops. The fortifications belong to the medieval era: the town wall still stands with its battlements and tow round towers. There are examples of... Read More