Nyurba was founded in 1930, although the area has been settled since the middle of the 18th century. In the 1950s, the town grew rapidly as a base for exploration of the nearby diamond deposits, receiving urban-type settlement status in 1958. Town status was granted in 1998.
Economy and infrastructure
Production of diamonds is the primary industry in the town, both as the site of a diamond cutting works operated by the state-owned ALROSA company, as well as its status as a supply town for nearby mining operations.