Oak Hammock Marsh
consists of approximately 20 square kilometres of open marsh, and a slightly smaller area of surrounding woods and grasslands. It is located approximately 20 km north and slightly west of the northern suburbs of Winnipeg
, near the town of Stonewall, Manitoba
.Oak Hammock Marsh is listed as a Wetland of International Importance under the Ramsar Convention
, and is also a globally significant Important Bird Area
The marsh is a remnant of an originally 470 square kilometre area of marsh
near the south-western corner of Lake Winnipeg
. This larger marsh had the original English name of St. Andrews Bog. But the original wetland underwent drainage for agricultural purposes beginning in 1897, and by the early 1960s all but 60ha had been drained. Measures to restore a portion of the wetland began in 1967 when the Governments of Manitoba
embarked on a cooperative program with Ducks Unlimited
Canada and other wildlife conservation organizations to restore marginal agricultural lands to a state suitable for wildlife.
By 1974, 3450ha of land had been purchased and 22 km of dykes built to trap and hold water in three dyke-separated marsh compartments. In addition, 58 nesting islands were constructed within the three compartments. In 1984, the Manitoba
government signed a further development agreement with Ducks......