Oconee Station was established in 1792 as a blockhouse on the South Carolina frontier. Troops were removed in 1799. The site also has the Williams Richards House, which was built in the early 19th century as residence and trading post.Edgar, Walter, ed. The South Carolina Encyclopedia, University of South Carolina Press, 2006, p. 680, ISBN 1-57003-598-2 The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Oconee Station and Richards House.
There is a short spur trail to Station Cove Falls, which is a waterfall, and the Oconee Passage of the Palmetto Trail.
The South Carolina Department of Archives and History has additional pictures and information about the Oconee Station and William Richards house