Ocotepec' is a small town to the north of the city of Cuernavaca, but within the municipality of Cuernavaca. The name Ocotepec means “on the hill of the ocotes, or Montezuma pines.” It is located only minutes from the center of Cuernavaca on the highway that leads to Tepotzlán. The community is divided into four neighborhoods based on the major churches in town, which is an organization left over from the colonial period. Ocotepec is one of the most traditional communities in the municipality of Cuernavaca. On the main road through town, there are dozens of stores specializing in handcrafted clay, stone and wood pieces, as well as rustic furniture. Among these shops are restaurants and food stalls specializing in barbacoa and cecina.
Church of the Divino Salvador
The main church of the town is the Church of the Divino Salvador. This church was begun in 1532 and... Read More