In the Middle Ages the manor of Ogbourne St George belonged to the BenedictineBec Abbey in Normandy. Ogbourne Priory was founded in about 1149 as a daughter house of the abbey. For two hundred years the priory managed all the English estates belonging to the abbey.
The present manor house is built on the site of the priory. The house is Jacobean and the date 1619 is inscribed on one of its chimneystacks. It received some Georgian remodelling, including the current glazing of its windows and probably the hipped roof.