Charles Ogilvy Limited
- For the Ogilvy's department store in Montreal, Quebec, see Ogilvy .
, or "Ogilvy's", was a department store in Ottawa
, founded in 1887. For much of the 20th century, Ogilvy's was one of Ottawa's higher-end department stores.
Charles Ogilvy (1861-1947) was born in Edinburgh
and emigrated to Canada with his family in 1863. His father, James Ogilvy, established a stationery store in Ottawa, and Charles followed in the retail business by opening his own dry goods shop at 92 Rideau Street
in 1887. The business prospered and moved to new premises at 126 Rideau Street in 1907. The new store was designed by Ottawa architect W.E. Noffke, and the building was expanded in 1917, 1931 and 1934. Ogilvy's was a thriving retail enterprise, famous for its "tartan boxes". The success of Ottawa's local department stores, such as Ogilvy's, Freimans
discouraged the expansion of national chains (including Eaton's
and The Bay
) into the National Capital Region
until the 1950s (Simpsons-Sears opened its Carlingwood outlet in 1955).
Over time, Ogilvy's opened a woodworking shop in Westboro
and a number of small satellite stores in proximity to its Rideau Street store. In the 1960s, Ogilvy's opened a second location at the suburban Billings Bridge Plaza
in south Ottawa. In later years, new suburban outlets at Lincoln Fields (in the west end) and Place d'Orléans (in the... Read More