Ohio State School for the Blind
is a school located in Columbus, Ohio
, United States
. It is run by the Ohio Department of Education
and visually impaired
students across Ohio. It was established in 1837, making it the nation's first public school for the visually impaired.
The Ohio Institution for the Education of the Blind was originally constructed in 1837 in downtown Columbus on Parsons Ave, it once was the headquarters for the Ohio State Highway Patrol. Now the original location is home to the Columbus Public Health offices. In the early 1900s, the Ohio Institution for the Education of the Blind became known as the Ohio State School for the Blind. In the mid 1950's the school moved to its current location at 5220 N. High St on the ground of a defaulted golf course
. Over its history, the school has seen a vast change in its population and demographics, originally housing a majority of single disability student to now handling almost 75% multi-handicapped people.
In the basement
of the school sits a vast collection of model
that were constructed and purchased over time, these models are of various monuments
around the United States that blind students may not be able to see with their eyes but instead could examine with their hands
. While the majority of the models were constructed of quality material, there are some that have been neglected and damaged over the years.
In recent years, a discussion has gained popularity about combining... Read More