Okara District () is a district of Punjab, Pakistan. The Multan Road connects the district capital, Okara with the capital of Punjab – Lahore (which lies 110 km away). Firstly it was a small town near a big city Sahiwal. After it was divided and become a city. It is approximately 40 km away from sahiwal division. Okara is a rapidly growing city in terms of industry and agricultural activity. According to the 1998 census, the district had a population of 2,232,992 of which 12.84% were urban..
The city is a relatively new agricultural city, during the period of British rule there was a jungle of Okaan where the city has been built. The word Okara for this district was actually originated from word Okan(A lush green tree with needle like leaves).The tree Okan gave birth to word Okanwali(Land of Okan)which ultimately finalized into Okara. During British rule the area was part of Montgomery District and contained a large saltpeter refinery. At partition one of the two textile mills that Pakistan got was the one at Okara. The mill was known as Sutlej textile mill and belonged to Aditya Birla Group. It was asia's biggest textile mill at that time. In 1982 the city became the headquarters of the newly created Okara District. Okara has had a railway line since 1892.