The Oklahoma Historical Society (OHS)
is an agency
of the government of Oklahoma
dedicated to promotion and preservation of Oklahoma
's history and its people by collecting, interpreting, and disseminating knowledge and artifacts of Oklahoma.
The Society is governed by a 25-member Board of Directors. Thirteen of those members are elected by the members of the Society and twelve are appointed by the Governor of Oklahoma
, with the approval of the Oklahoma Senate
. All member serve three year terms. The Governor also serves as an ex officio
member of the Board. The Board is responsible for appointing an Executive Director of the Society, who serves concurrently as the State Historic Preservation Officer. The current Executive Director is Dr. Bob L. Blackburn, Ph.D..
History and Functions
OHS was formed in May 1893, 14 years before Oklahoma became a state, by the Oklahoma Territorial Press Association. The initial function of OHS was to collect and distribute newspapers published in Oklahoma Territory
. The Society was declared an agency of the territorial government in 1895, and it became an official state government agency when Oklahoma reached statehood
in 1907. OHS is both a private, membership organization and an Oklahoma government agency. The OHS Board of Directors is made up of 25 members, 12 of whom are appointed by the governor and 13 elected by OHS members to three-year terms.
OHS today works statewide and nationally to preserve and nurture... Read More