's Old City Hall
was home to its city council from 1865 to 1969. It was one of the first buildings in the French Second Empire
style to be built in the United States and is now one of few remaining. After the building's completion, the Second Empire style was used extensively elsewhere in Boston and for many public buildings in the United States, such as the Old Executive Office Building
in Washington, D.C.
as well as other city halls in Providence, Baltimore and Philadelphia. The building's architects were Gridley James Fox Bryant
and Arthur Gilman
Old City Hall, built between 1862 and 1865, is located at 45 School Street
, along the Freedom Trail
between the Old South Meeting House
and King's Chapel
. The Boston Latin School
operated on the site from 1704 to 1748, and on the same street until 1844.
Also on the site, the Suffolk County
Courthouse was erected in 1810 and converted to Boston's second city hall in 1841, being replaced by the current building twenty-four years later. Thirty-eight Boston mayors
, including John F. Fitzgerald
, Maurice J. Tobin
, and James Michael Curley
, served their terms of office on School Street at this site over a period of 128 years.
With the 1969 move to the current Boston City Hall
, Old City Hall was converted over the next two years to serve other functions–an early and successful example of adaptive reuse
. Boston based architecture firm Finegold Alexander + Associates Inc
completed the adaptive use and renovation.
It... Read More