The Old Showground
was the original stadium
of the English football
club Scunthorpe United
and had been built in c.1867.
Scunthorpe United played at the Old Showground until 1988, when they moved to Glanford Park
- the first newly-constructed Football League
stadium since Southend United's Roots Hall
33 years earlier.
The ground was the first in England to have a cantilever
stand, which was built in 1958. The ground was situated in the centre of Scunthorpe
, at the junction of Doncaster Road and Henderson Avenue. As part of the relocation deal the site was sold to the supermarket chain Safeway
who constructed a store on the site. After Safeway were taken over in 2004
the store was subsequently sold to Sainsbury's
. The site of the centre-spot was highlighted by a plaque in front of the delicatessen counter; however this was later removed and all that remains of the site's former use is a plaque by the entrance to the store.
Attempts to move the cantilever stand to Glanford Park proved impractical, and it was demolished along with the rest of the old stadium.
Scunthorpe's record attendance of 23,935 was set at the Old Showground on 30 January 1954 for an FA Cup
4th round tie against Portsmouth