Oldham Werneth railway station
was situated on the Oldham Loop Line
, 10 km (6¼ miles) north east of Manchester Victoria
. The station was situated on Featherstall Road South, in the Werneth
area of Oldham
, in Greater Manchester
, England. Opened on 31 March 1842 it was the oldest of the six railway stations that at one time existed in Oldham.
It predominantly served local Chadderton
and Werneth residents. The station, and all trains serving it, were operated by Northern Rail
The station was built originally to serve the Platt Bros. of Oldham
, a huge cotton spinning engineering company, who had their headquarters in Werneth. However, this company no longer exists.
The Middleton Junction and Oldham Branch Railway
formerly ran from Werneth Station down to Middleton Junction. The line included the Werneth Incline which had a gradient of 1 in 27, and was one of the steepest stretches of line regularly used for passenger traffic in the country. The branch line closed on 7 January 1963.
The Oldham Werneth to Thorpes Bridge Junction, Newton Heath line which opened on 17 May 1880 was built to avoid the Werneth Incline. It approached Werneth station from the Manchester direction on a separate two track formation adjacent to the Incline. There was a flat junction between the two lines just beyond Werneth... Read More