() is a village on the R173 regional road
in County Louth
, close to the border with Northern Ireland
. It is roughly mid way between Dublin
, very near the County Louth and County Armagh
/ County Down
border. Omeath has a population of 439, and is approximately from Carlingford
and about from Newry
. Ff travelling by sea its nearest land neighbour is Warrenpoint
on the south County Down
Omeath is home to the Cúchulainn
Gaels Gaelic Athletic Association
It is named after Muireadheach Méith
= the fat) and was originally called Uí Méith Mara
-by the sea - to distinguish it from another Ó Méith named after the same man.
Native Irish speakers existed in Omeath until just before the middle of the 20th century. Although the dialect is now dead, recordings have been made by German linguist Wilhelm Doegen for the Royal Irish Academy.
Omeath had a station on the Dundalk, Newry and Greenore
railway, which opened on 1 August 1876 and finally closed on 1 January 1952.
A regular bus service runs through the village and links the village with Newry and Dundalk town.
In the summer months a regular daily foot passenger ferry service operates between Omeath and Warrenpoint Co. Down. Bikes and small motor cycles can avail of the daily ferry service during the summer months.