was a military scientific operation during and after World War II
, which was performed mainly by British staff. It was part of the Allies' scramble to acquire as much German technology as they could.
For this operation, four V-2 rockets
were launched during October 1945
from a launch pad at north-east of Arensch
, in order to demonstrate the weapon to Allied personnel.
The Americans had already taken away most of the V2 rocket technology from the German underground Mittelwerk
facility at the Mittelbau-Dora
concentration camp near Nordhausen
. Before the Soviets took control of that area, the British were given the opportunity to gather material themselves. They were able to assemble parts sufficient to build eight V2 rockets. Some parts were, however, still missing and there was a large-scale search throughout Germany. Some 400 railway cars and 70 Lancaster
flights were used to bring the quarter-of-a-million parts and 60 specialized vehicles to Cuxhaven, the most elusive part being batteries to operate the guidance gyros. The US supplied some tail assemblies from those that they had taken. Many of the rockets and the hydrogen peroxide fuel used in the operation was provided by T-Force
, a secretive British Army unit that had, in spring and summer 1945, searched for German military technology and scientists.Longden, Sean (2009). T-Force: The race for Nazi war secrets
. London: Constable. ISBN 978-1-84529-727-5
The... Read More