It was formed by unanimous agreement at the May 2003 Plenary meeting of TC20/SC14. The text of the resolution is as follows:
• Mitigation of Orbital Space Debris is an issue of international concern and embraces many interests and areas of expertise.
• ISO is responsible for developing internationally recognised standards, on a consensus basis, for implementation through contractual agreement or National or International regulation.
• A comprehensive and cohesive system of implementation standards is essential to achieve orbital debris mitigation objectives.
ISO TC20/SC14 undertakes, through the ODCWG, to develop appropriate international standards for implementation of orbital debris mitigation objectives and to co-ordinate these activities with all parties that have an interest in mitigation of orbital debris.
The terms of reference for the ODCWG state that the aims of the group are as follows:
The ODCWG shall;
• Provide a focus for the development of implementation standards associated with the mitigation of Orbital Space Debris within ISO TC20/SC14.
• Co-ordinate and manage the development of standards within the international framework of TC20/SC14 and its established Working Group......