is a small village and civil parish
in the Hinckley and Bosworth
district of Leicestershire
. At the time of the 2001 Census
, the parish had a population of 266.
The village dates back to a mention in the Domesday Book
in which it is referred to as "Sbermestun".Domesday Book 1086
The villages creation and development was inspired by the existence of Osbaston Hall
, which traces back to being managed by a norman
. The manor thus later had several different owners including Sir Thomas Pope Blount whom is considered responsible for the demolition and reconstruction of the manor. Furthermore, the entire buildings located in the main village area were built before the 19th century.
In recent years, new estates which run into the neighbouring village of Barlestone
have been built east of the former Osbaston Toll Gate, notably a dental practice. A small settlement identified as "Osbaston Hollow" has been formed south of Nailstone
. Both landmarks lie on the A447 road.
There are several farms located in and around the village, notably Osbaston House Farm, a goat farm which dates back to 1908 situated on the edge of the National Forest
. A dental practice and a corner shop are located in the area around the former Osbaston Tollgate in which borders the neighbouring village of Barlestone
. There is also a Public House, The Gate Inn, situated in the Osbaston... Read More