() is a small town on the banks of the Owenriff River
close to the western shore of Lough Corrib
in County Galway
. The population of the town in 2006
was 1,305. Located some 26 km northwest of Galway
on the N59
road, Oughterard is the chief angling centre on the lough.
Places of interest
Three kilometers outside the town stand the ruins of Aughnanure Castle
, a well-preserved example of an Irish tower house. Much of the surrounding area was occupied by the O'Flaherty clan, but was taken over by The first Earl of Ulster, Walter de Burgo, in 1256. Ross Castle is also located a number of miles outside Oughterard. The mansion which is visible today was built by the Martin Family in the 17th century but there is some evidence still present of the original castle structure, built in the 15th century by the O'Flaherty Family, in its foundation.The Quiet Man
Bridge is located 5 miles past Oughterard, down the Leam Road, which was the setting for the 1950s film "The Quiet Man" starring John Wayne
and Maureen O'Hara
Also close to Oughterard, the Glengowla Mine (abandoned in 1865) is noted for its rare and beautiful octahedral crystals of fluorite and quartz.
As per Census
2006 the population of Oughterard was 1,305 (after 1,209 at Census 2002); for the urban area
the number for 2006 was 2,557 people (after 2,380 at Census 2002).
Oughterard had a primary... Read More