The Oxford University Gliding Club
) is the gliding
club of Oxford University
, flying from the historic Bicester Airfield
The club was founded as part of the Oxford University and City Gliding Club in December 1937, and the illustrious German pilot Robert Kronfeld
was its first chief flying instructor (CFI). The club started flying from Cumnor Meadow in the spring of 1938, but the site is now lost, lying at the bottom of Farmoor Reservoir
. Later that year, the club flew from a site between Aston Rowant
at the Chiltern ridge. At the outbreak of war in 1939, all sport flying stopped in the UK, but the club reformed in 1951 at Kidlington before moving to Weston on the Green, an RAF airfield, in 1956.
By the early 1980s it had moved to Bicester Airfield (sharing facilities with the RAFGSA
and their gliding operation) and had just one glider, a Schleicher Ka 7
from the German manufacturer Alexander Schleicher
, obtained thanks to the generosity of a local dentist, Peter Pratelli. This wood and fabric glider was soon supplemented by a Grob G103 Twin II
glass fibre two-seater, EGN, again via a loan from Pratelli, and the Ka 7 eventually moved on to another club.
In early January 1986 the club acquired FEF, a then ten-year-old Grob Astir CS
(and thus promptly became the first "all glass" club in the UK and probably the world). EGN, the Twin II, was sold to Enstone Eagles Gliding Club, and departed the airfield on 27 October 1990. It was replaced with the... Read More