is a eastern suburb of Auckland
, in northern New Zealand
. Pakuranga covers a series of low ridges and previously swampy flats, now drained, that lie between the Pakuranga Creek and Tamaki River
, two estuarial
arms of the Hauraki Gulf
. It is located to the north of Manukau and 15 kilometres southeast of the Auckland CBD
The suburb's name is Maori
for battle of the sunlight
or battle of the sun's rays
. This peculiar name is the result of a legend about a battle between mythical nocturnal creatures. The battle raged fiercely until a Maori priest caused the sun to rise earlier than expected. Caught by surprise in the rays of the sun, the monsters perished.
Pakuranga itself had a low Maori population in the early days due to the swampy nature of much of the land. Three prominent pa
were at Pidgeon Mountain and two at Panmure on a cliff, at the intersection of the Tamaki River and the inlet to the Panmure Basin. During the attacks by Ngapuhi in the Musket wars in late september 1820, most of the population were killed, eaten , taken prisoner or fled south to the Waikato.
In early European times, it was a sparsely settled dairy farming area between the townships of Panmure and Howick. In the 1920s and 30s it was served by a bus that ran from Bucklands Beach known as the "shiek". In the 1930s a concrete road was built between these townships that improved transport times for people... Read More