<!--PLEASE DO NOT ADD AN INFO BOX TO THIS PAGE.-->The Palazzo Pitti
(), in English sometimes called the Pitti Palace
, is a vast mainly Renaissance palace
, Italy. It is situated on the south side of the River Arno
, a short distance from the Ponte Vecchio
. The core of the present palazzo
dates from 1458 and was originally the town residence of Luca Pitti
, an ambitious Florentine banker.
The palace was bought by the Medici
family in 1549 and became the chief residence of the ruling families of the Grand Duchy
. It grew as a great treasure house as later generations amassed paintings, plates, jewelry and luxurious possessions.
In the late 18th century, the palazzo was used as a power base by Napoleon
, and later served for a brief period as the principal royal palace of the newly united Italy. The palace and its contents were donated to the Italian people by King Victor Emmanuel III
in 1919, and its doors were opened to the public as one of Florence's largest art galleries
. Today, it houses several minor collections in addition to those of the Medici family, and is fully open to the public.
The construction of this severe and forbidding building was commissioned in 1458 by the Florentine banker Luca Pitti, a principal supporter and friend of Cosimo de' Medici
. The early history of the Palazzo Pitti... Read More