The Palestinian National Security Forces
, also referred to as the presidential guard
() are the paramilitary
forces of the Palestinian National Authority
(PNA). Since the signing of the Oslo Accords
, these forces operate in select areas
of the West Bank
and Gaza Strip
The Palestinian National Security Forces engages in various activities which includes among others, maintaining the security and protection of the Palestinian President
and Palestinian Leadership.
The Director General of the Palestinian National Security Forces is Major General Nasser Yousef
. The total strength of these forces is estimated at 29,000, broken down as follows:
- Public Security Force - 14,000 (6,000 in Gaza; 8,000 in the West Bank)
- Paletinian Civil Police Force - 10,000 (4,000 in Gaza; 6,000 in the West Bank)
- Preventive Security Force - 3,000 (1,200 in Gaza; 1,800 in the West Bank)
- General Intelligence Force - 3,000
- Military Intelligence Force - 500
- Presidential Security Force - 500
There are also small forces belonging to Coastal Police, Civil Defence, Air Force, Customs and Excise Police Force and the University Security Service.
The Palestinian Security Force is financed by the United States
which, according to media estimates, pays an annual 3 million dollars for it.
As part of the Oslo Accords, the PNA was authorized to recruit and train a police force with paramilitary capabilities, but was not... Read More