Palisades Amusement Park was an amusement park located in Bergen County, New Jersey, across the Hudson River from New York City. It was situated atop the New Jersey Palisades lying partly in Cliffside Park and partly in Fort Lee. The park operated from 1898 until 1971, remaining one of the most visited amusement parks in the country near the end of its existence. Essentially, it became a victim of its own success and inadequate facilities to deal with the generations of families and children who flocked to its gates. After the park closed, a high-rise luxury apartment complex was built on its site.
The Trolley Park Era: 1898-1910
It was built as The Park on the Palisades in 1898, as a trolley park. It was designed and built by the Bergen County Traction Company to attract evening and weekend riders. In 1908, the trolley company sold the park to August Neumann and Frank Knox. They hired Alven H. Dexter to manage the park. Dexter began to bring in a crude assortment of attractions, including a Ferris wheel, a baby parade, and diving horses. The park was renamed Palisades Amusement Park.
The Schenck Brothers: 1910-1934
By 1908, the park was renamed Palisades Amusement Park, and the new owners began adding amusement rides and attractions. In 1910, the park was purchased by Nicholas and Joseph Schenck and their Realty Trust Company. They were brothers who were in the nascent motion picture... Read More