<!-- Infobox begins --><!-- Infobox ends -->Paombong
: Bayan ng Paombong
) is a 3rd class partially urban municipality
in the province
. Dubbed as the Vinegar Capital of the Philippines
, Paombong is famous for its vinegar extracted from the sap of sasa (nipa
), thus the term "sukang Paombong"
(Paombong vinegar) became known in Luzon
and other parts of the Philippines. According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 53,510 inhabitants in 8,266 households.
In the 16th century, the Spanish conquistadores
expand their pacification drive in Luzon moving from one place to another. In 1578, they reached a large tract of land consisting of two sister towns. The newly discovered pueblo
was then named Malolos
. However, the Spanish friars also attended to the spiritual needs of the people living west of Malolos, which is later to be known as Paombong. This relationship continued until the early 17th century when the natives of Paombong manifested their desire to be liberated from the parochial leadership of Malolos. The Spaniards then established Paombong as a pueblo in 1619, becoming the seventh town in Bulacan
founded by the Augustinian Order
. From 1619 to 1650, a Spanish friar ruled Paombong, just like any other Augustinian-controlled place. Not... Read More