The Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces Museum
is now located at Imperial War Museum Duxford
. Prior to 2008 it was based at Browning Barracks in the Aldershot Military Town
area near Aldershot in Hampshire
. As well as the history of Airborne Forces in general, in particular the Museum told the story of the The Parachute Regiment
, which was based in the town from its creation in 1940 until 2003.
Origins of the Museum
The Museum was established by a meeting of the Committee of the Parachute Regiment Association in October 1946, being housed in various barracks until it was officially opened in Browning Barracks on 23 March 1969 by Field Marshal Montgomery
. The Museum traced the history of British Airborne Forces from 1940 to the present day. With The Parachute Regiment having moved from its Aldershot
home to Colchester
, and with the site scehdeuled for redevelopment, a decision was made to move from 'behind the wire' to a public venue. In 2008, the Museum moved to a new permanent home in partnership with Imperial War Museum Duxford
under the Airborne Assault name. The first phase of the new attraction was opened in a formal ceremony by HRH The Prince of Wales
, Colonel-in-Chief of The Parachute Regiment on 8 December 2008.
Airborne Assault tells the story of men who go to war from the air.
New multimedia displays tell the story of today's airborne soldier and his heritage from 1940 when British Airborne Forces were first formed at the insistence of Prime... Read More