series written by H. Beam Piper
consists of several short stories, one novella, and one novel; they deal with an advanced civilization that is able to travel between parallel universes
with alternate histories, and uses that ability to trade for goods and services their own, exhausted Earth cannot provide. Specifically, the Paratime series deals with the Paratime Police, the organization that protects the secret of paratime travel.
Stories in the Paratime Series
These stories were written by Piper:
- He Walked Around the Horses (Astounding Science Fiction Magazine, April 1948)
- Police Operation (Astounding Science Fiction Magazine, July 1948)
- Last Enemy (Astounding Science Fiction Magazine, August, 1950)
- Temple Trouble (Astounding Science Fiction Magazine, April, 1951)
- Genesis (Future Magazine, September, 1951)
- Time Crime (novella) (Astounding Science Fiction Magazine, February and March 1955)
- Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen (novel) (Analog Science Fiction, 1965) in two parts: "Gunpowder God" and "Down Styphon!"
A sequel to Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen, Great Kings' War
, was written by Roland J. Green and John F. Carr.
Some persons dispute He Walked Around The Horses
being Paratime stories, however Genesis
is the account of a group of Martian colonists arriving on Earth between 75,000 and 100,000 years ago exactly as described by Piper in several of his Paratime Police stories. All of the names used in Genesis
follow the conventions... Read More