() is a semi-public park situated in the 8th arrondissement
, at the junction of Boulevard de Courcelles, Rue de Prony and Rue Georges Berger. At the main entrance is a rotunda
. The park covers an area of 8.2 hectares (20.3 acres).
The park was established by Phillippe d'Orléans, Duke of Chartres
, a cousin of the king. He started buying land on which to establish the garden in 1769, and employed Louis Carrogis Carmontelle
to design the gardens. He was a close friend of the Prince of Wales, later George IV
, and a lover of all things English. As a result, his aim was to create an informal English-style garden in the middle of Paris. By 1778, through successive purchases, the garden had grown to 12 hectares. It became known as the Folie de Chartres
In 1793, during the French Revolution
, the Duke was executed by guillotine
and the garden was taken into public ownership. The Wall of the Farmers-General
of Paris surrounded the park. At this time, the rotunda
was built by Claude Nicolas Ledoux
In 1797, it was the site of the first silk parachute
jump, when André-Jacques Garnerin
jumped from a Montgolfier hot air balloon
, landing in the park where a large crowd was gathered.
The garden was purchased by the city of Paris in 1860. Half of the land was sold for the construction of new houses. Thanks to Baron Haussmann
, the other half was preserved as green space and became a semi-public park, inaugurated by Napoleon III
on 13 August 1861.
The... Read More