is the home of the Parliament of Queensland
, housing the Legislative Assembly
. It is situated on the corner of George Street
and Alice Street
. Parliament House is bordered by the Queensland University of Technology
and the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens
was established as a separate colony from New South Wales
during 1859, its new Parliament met in temporary quarters at the Old Convict Barracks in Queen Street. This facility sufficed whilst the Government of Queensland
directed funds for construction of Government House
During 1863, design plans by Charles Tiffin for a new Parliament House were finally selected from an Australia
-wide design competition. During 1864 the foundation stone for the building was laid, and it was built by Joshua Jeays
. The George Street frontage was completed during 1868 in French Renaissance
Revival style, with some Second Empire
-style elements. The colonnades were built during 1878, and construction on the Alice Street frontage commenced during 1887.
The original zinc roof was replaced during the 1980s with one constructed from Mount Isa copper
. A 22-storey Parliamentary Annexe building was completed during 1979, built within the grounds of the old Parliament House.
Art exhibitions and other displays are frequently staged in the spacious ground floor areas of the Annexe.
Free public guided tours of the Parliament are available each week day. Also, a gift shop, selling... Read More